Opioids in the workplace
Workers who are prescribed pain medications for work-related injuries must be educated about the risks of opioid addiction. According to Marianne Kritserg, MSW, LCSW, RN there are eight strategies to consider:
Create a positive worker’s comp experience
- Shift the health care mindset from “pain-free” to “managed care”.
- Educate workers about the potential adverse effects associated with taking prescription pain medications.
- Avoid and minimize unnecessary opioid prescriptions in the first place.
- Ensure opioid-prescribing guidelines are followed.
- Screen injured workers for use of all drugs.
- Consider implementing drug-free workplace policies.
- Know and identify signs of substance use and abuse.
- Utilize weaning, if and when necessary.
To read Marianne’s article in NU Property Casualty 360, log onto.