Holiday Cooking Safety Tips
Here are some cooking safety tips to follow as you get ready for Thanksgiving:
- Keep your cooking area clean and clutter free.
- Be cautious of your surroundings
- Immediately turn off unused burners/appliances
- Never leave unattended cooking – this is the major cause of fires in the kitchen
- Keep children and pets away from the cooking area by declaring a 3 foot “kid-free zone” around the cooking area
- Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper and plastic away from the cooking area
- Always use turkey fryers outside and a safe distance from the house and on a flat surface
- Make sure turkey is completely thawed
- Thaw a turkey approximately 24 hours for every five pounds in weight
Follow these tips and have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.