Mobile Device Threats
According to Michael Ogden in his recent article in PropertyCasualty 360, there are five mobile devise threats and how to prevent them.
- Phishing Attacks - use deceptive sites or software programs that masquerade as legitimate ones to steal vital user information (user login credentials and credit card numbers)
- Malware Infections - can steal data and eat up computing resources from mobile devises. They can trigger users into taking actions that further compromise mobile devices.
- Advanced Persistent Threats - are coordinated network attacks hackers use to gain access to an organization’s network and data.
- Untested Mobile Apps - beware of downloading apps from a third-party source instead of downloading from regulated app stores.
- Outdated Operating Systems - leaves your mobile devise vulnerable to malware and other security threats.
How to avoid these threats according to Comodo Threat Research Labs:
- Avoiding connecting to unsecured Wi-Fi networks, such as public Wi-Fi hotspots;
- Downloading apps from trusted sources, such as the Google Play Store and iOS App store, and not from unreliable third-party sources;
- Being wary of unsolicited calls or messages; and
- Mitigating mobile device attacks from penetrating the corporate environment, which provides the controls needed to secure, manage and monitor all the employee-owned mobile devices that access critical business data.
Keep these tips in mind to help you maintain your mobile device.