Did You know Landscaping Affects Your Home Value?
We all have our “Honey Do” lists and are working on our gardens and planning our landscapes. But did you know that landscaping can improve or hurt your property values which affect your insurance premiums? That’s right!
Here’s some tips on how to protect your home’s value.
- Consider adding mature trees to your property. According to the USDA Forest Service, healthy, mature trees add an average of 10% to a property’s value. Mature trees need lots of room due to their root structure so don’t plan them close to your home, driveways or patios.
- Don’t let vines grow up your home. They can damage bricks or paint. So, consider your growing ivy as a threat to your home’s structure.
- Think about adding prickly bushes which can deter burglars. Put them in front of windows, especially in the front of your home.
- Have a landscaping plan that includes lots of native plants and trees. Pick varieties that are grown locally. They provide food and homes for butterflies, bees, birds, and other wildlife. They also don’t require as much maintenance since the plants adapt to the water source in your area.
- Finally, still feel lost, consult a landscaping expert to provide you with the information you need to create a garden that increases the value of your home.